Do’s and Don'ts of Mattress, Effective Maintenance & Care Tips.
We spend more than one-third of our lives in bed on a mattress sleeping. It’s imperative we pay attention when it comes to mattress health and hygiene. A little care goes a long way, after all a clean mattress by itself will certainly help you optimize your sleep environment and eventually your sleep.
Here is the list of Do’s and Don'ts to maintain your mattress that will simply add years to your mattress life. These simple and effective tips are easy to follow, maintenance and care tips,
- Always place the mattress on a flat surface.
- Before use, remove polythene as it’s meant only for protecting the mattress during transit.
- We suggest using a liquid-resistant sheet for infants, young children or the elderly.
- Body impressions are normal. Please flip/rotate your mattress every three months.
- In the case of storage beds, we recommend that you remove the mattress before opening the storage space. It can have a roll together effect on your mattress and damage the mattress.
- Sprinkle baking soda (use a sieve to make it easier) generously over your mattress and use a brush to gently scrub the baking soda into the fabric of the mattress. This will help in removing odour too.
- Vacuum your mattress regularly to keep it away from dust, mites and bugs, if any.
- To remove stains, use a gentle mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water on any stains you find. Gently dab it on with a towel or rag. Never pour the mixture directly on the mattress.
- Always carry a mattress sideways while shifting or moving.
- Work the hydrogen peroxide into the fabric for a couple of minutes before you wipe the area off with a dry bag.
Allow the area to dry naturally and repeat the process necessary.
- To ensure the length and breadth of the cot with the mattress to fit in properly.
- Use a good quality mattress protector, a waterproof mattress protector is recommended. This will help in dust seeping into the mattress and guard against accidental spills.
Now you will have a fresh, clean mattress with a subtle relaxing fresh scent.
- Do not iron or place any hot object on the mattress.
- Avoid spilling liquids on the mattress.
- Never bend/fold your mattress.
- Avoid placing laptops on the mattress.
- Do not smoke on the mattress.
- Never place food material on the mattress.
- Do not stand/ jump on the mattress.
- Do not expose the mattress to direct sunlight.
- On receipt of the mattress, take off the PVC cover, let the mattress aerate.
- Avoid slatted bed base, bed base with gaps.
- Keep your mattress away from sharp objects like knives, forks, nails etc.
- We suggest you use TAD protector to protect your mattress from moisture, seepage, liquid spills, spots etc.
- Avoid exposure to excessive moisture, humidity, temperature, or other external environmental conditions.
- Clean your mattress with care. Do not use any detergents to clean your mattress.
- Do not light a matchstick on the mattress.
If you loved this article and have other tips that haven’t made it to our list, please share your reviews and tips in the comment section below.
We offer a wide range of mattresses and sleep solutions, reach out to our Happy Sleep specialist for details.